Date: 23-09-17  Time: 00:31 AM

Author Topic: Telescope rebuild project.  (Read 428 times)

Offline Robert Sears

• Major Contributor
    • KF7VOP
Telescope rebuild project.
« on: 2015-04-12 05:04 PM »
One of my first major Foundry projects is going to be to rebuild my 6 inch sono-tube dobsonian into a truss dob travel scope.

The idea here is to make a telescope that fits into a carry-on sized suitcase.

I am going to use this truss dob as the basis of my design. http://www.jeffalbro.net/articles/six-inch-dobsonian 

But with a few changes.

The most significant is the Jeff Albro design is for a 6 inch f4.5 (27 inch focal length) while my mirror is a 6 inch f8 (48 inch focal length).

All in all this will only change the length of the truss and it will make balancing a lot more difficult. I envision a two piece truss to allow it to fit in a suitcase.

Also Jeff Albro used a drum shell for his secondary cage. I am not gong to go the that much effort as there is not reason beyond aesthetics to make the secondary cage round.  I think I will make is square too. Once assembled the telescope when out of  the rocker box will look a lot like a box kite.

Now if only the Foundry would get the wood-shop up and running.

Offline Alan Krum

• Major Contributor
  • Outside the Box
    • Alan Krum
Re: Telescope rebuild project.
« Reply #1 on: 2015-04-16 09:04 AM »
To my knowledge the woodshop is wired and you just need to talk to them about using it.
Getting interested in any Technology is the cornerstone of Life today.

Offline Robert Sears

• Major Contributor
    • KF7VOP
Re: Telescope rebuild project.
« Reply #2 on: 2015-04-16 11:04 AM »
To my knowledge the woodshop is wired and you just need to talk to them about using it.

It has been a while since I was down there. I will make it a point to check on this so I can get this project started