Date: 23-09-17  Time: 00:30 AM

Author Topic: Weekly Updates  (Read 451 times)

Offline Jessica C.

Weekly Updates
« on: 2015-11-04 08:11 PM »
Hello folks!

Today Robert and I made some major headway!  We completed our goal to finish the arduino sketch to control a robot with a keyboard, but were unable to fully test the code due to possibly faulty or uncalibrated servos.

Our goal for next week is to calibrate or test the servo motors in the bots, and Robert has volunteered to continue evaluating the Bluetooth pairing and mode setting.  Next week we should have access to two adafruit Bluetooth keyboard encoders, which will (hopefully) act as the brain of our Bluetooth controllers.

I also introduced Ross Hunnicut, a representative from the Bellingham Technical College Engineering Club, to Jason and left them to discuss how BTC students can use The Foundry as a resource. Since this club could earn funding through donors, membership fees could possibly be paid without students having to pay out of pocket.

More to come next week!

Jessica Cartwright

Offline Jessica C.

Re: Weekly Updates
« Reply #1 on: 2015-11-11 09:11 PM »
Hello again!

This week the adafruit keyboard chips Mary ordered arrived, and Robert and I ran a quick check to make sure they pair with his laptop and tablet device.  Robert located the manuals for both the HC-06 Bluetooth chips we already had, and the adafruit keyboard chips we got in the mail, and discovered a way to pair the two using his laptop.  This step was essential for the communication between a controller and our bots down the road.  Aside from discussing shell designs for the bots (as well as structural modifications to strengthen the design), the supply bin was cleaned out and shored up to house the bots better. 

Next week we will be pairing the two adafruit chips to two HC-06 chips, and possibly putting them on a bot for a test run. We will also be addressing our controller situation.

See you guys next week!

Jessica

Offline Jessica C.

« Reply #2 on: 2015-11-18 09:11 PM »
Greetings!

Today Robert and I discovered that the Bluetooth chips the foundry already had for us (HC-05 and HC-06) are not capable of communicating with the Adafruit chips purchased for us because the Adafruit chips require V2.1 and higher Bluetooth capabilities. Since our chips only have Bluetooth 2.0 capabilities, we have decided to slightly alter our plan going forward:

Our HC-05 and HC-06 chips may be able to join to eachother, so we will be attempting to pair them and make teo communicating HC/arduino board units, with buttons representing directions and stop and go. If we achieve this next week we will then decide how to house an HC/arduino unit in a controller, and if it would be cost effective to purchase inexpensive arduino mini-chips to ease housing. Robert said he may be interested in buying the chips that were ordered specifically for us from the foundry because he may be able to put them to use elsewhere.

See you all next week!

Jessica

Offline Jessica C.

« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-02 09:12 PM »
What an exciting week!  Robert found out how to finally pair the HC-05 and HC-06 Bluetooth chips we already have, and made a mock up controller on a breadboard. Furthermore, he found  wrote a working script and we now we have a successfully controlled bot car.  I shored up the cars that were not assembled correctly (my own error originally) and Robert and I brainstormed how to house our controller, and redesigned the robo cars to be more durable and space saving.

Next week we will continue to try and make a player friendly controller, and make sure all our work and findings thus far are well documented. A personal goal of mine is to make an online tutorial for this project, since it lined up almost perfectly (so far) with my school quarter and may be used in the future for class credit.

See you all next week! Many thanks again to Robert for putting in hours at home to troubleshoot far beyond my abilities!

Jessica

Offline Jessica C.

« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-09 10:12 PM »
Hello again!

Today Robert and I cracked open one of our PS3 controllers and started adapting the board to be wired up to an Arduino Mini. We ran through some controller case modifications, made a decision on how to mount the battery and Arduino, and worked with Jason to create a 3D printing file for a streamlined auxiliary unit.

Next week I hope we can make a mock up controller and car independent of breadboards (currently needed for power and wiring), but since the Arduino Minis will have to be ordered, this may be something we produce closer to the new year.  Robert and I will also begin the process of setting new goals for our project now we have a successful model.

This academic quarter provided me with free Wednesday evenings to work on this project, but after the new year I will have to move my project night to Thursdays, 7pm to 9pm.  I discussed my schedule changes with Robert and he thinks he can make most of the new Thursday night meetings as well. Looking back on what we have achieved, I want to make sure this project progress is documented in a tutorial fashion for ease of repeatability and inclusion of new group members. Robert has already shared all our progress so far on the Synergy Hub forum for this project, and has made this task very achievable.

Till next week!

Jessica

Offline Jessica C.

« Reply #5 on: 2016-01-08 09:01 AM »
Hello again,

This week Robert and I picked up where we left off with our robocar project. We 3D-printed the external housing for the controller batteries and "brain", and brainstormed new ways to use the re-designed Foundry layout (Thank you Anthony!). We have the Arduino Mini we've been waiting for via mail, and will be assembling the finished working prototype in the next few meetings. Additionally, this new floor layout could allow me and Robert to film an Instructables tutorial about our project, which could then be used for marketing or educational purposes.

See you all next week!

Jessica

Offline Jessica C.

« Reply #6 on: 2016-01-14 09:01 PM »
Hello again!

This week was all about itemizing, prioritizing, and planning out our next three months in regards to this project.  Here are our goals for work nights between now and the end of March-

-> By end of January:
Create a tutorial for this project for independent study credit through BTC and marketing in the form of an Instructables tutorial

-> By end of February:
Create two working controllers and two working bots

-> By end of March:
Create a list of "arena" constraints, based on the bots' minimum turning radius and playability

BONUS GOALS:
-Utilize a sensor in combination with a harvested "rumble pack" servo from one of the game controllers provided by the Foundry
-Begin marketing the product by contacting local businesses to assess the viability of a "Pay to Play" style travel kit

See you all next week!

Jessica

Offline Jessica C.

« Reply #7 on: 2016-01-28 09:01 PM »
Hello all! 

Short and sweet update:

Over the last two weeks Robert and I have 3D printed the battery and arduino chip housing for our controller, and are working to troubleshoot Bluetooth communication.

See you all next week!

Jessica