Date: 24-04-19  Time: 03:08 AM

Author Topic: Do I Need a CNC Machine? | Woodworkers Guild of America  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Alan Krum

• Major Contributor
  • Outside the Box
    • Alan Krum
Getting interested in any Technology is the cornerstone of Life today.

Offline Michael (the Dodd)

Re: Do I Need a CNC Machine? | Woodworkers Guild of America
« Reply #1 on: 2015-07-06 12:07 PM »
I've noticed a *lot* of woodworking magazines featuring CNC-related material on their YouTube channels, and many of my favorite woodworkingers there are involving some level of CNC content.  I suppose it's inevitable, but I think there's a question to be answered as to whether you can really consider CNC to be "woodworking" per se.  Personally, I think of CNC and woodworking to be different disciplines, even though CNC excited me and it's something I really want to leverage in my own work.

Offline Alan Krum

• Major Contributor
  • Outside the Box
    • Alan Krum
« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-06 12:07 PM »
Hey Michael,
Yes they are two different things.. but that is the idea behind this Forum.  So often now different disciplines cross and blur the lines.   So having one place for all helps folks learn the opportunities available on all fronts. 

CNC can be used for so many things these days.. including woodworking.  Sometimes just for the rough cuts.. or in this case intricate work to be lovingly finished later on.

« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-06 12:07 PM »
Oh yes, I'm not putting down CNC work by any means-  at most I'd say is that Popular Woodworking seems to post more about CNC machines than any other discipline these days, but in general I'd say it's good to have that club in your bag than not. 

Offline Alan Krum

• Major Contributor
  • Outside the Box
    • Alan Krum
« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-06 12:07 PM »
So true..   I just hope they don't loose sight of the old school methods in the mean time.  That happens too often.   Speaking of old school.. I'll be posting up a goodie about that in a bit.

« Reply #5 on: 2015-07-06 12:07 PM »
It seems like a lot of woodworkings (at least the ones I follow online) advocate kind of a hybrid model for woodworking-  combining modern power tools with a variety of planes, scrapers, bit/brace, etc.  This is mainly how I work and it makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways.  There are tons of situations where a few deft passes with a sharp chisel is way more expedient than setting up a power tool for the same bit of work.

Offline Admin Elf

• Global Admin
  • Major Contributor
  • Admin Elf
    • Synergy Hub
« Reply #6 on: 2015-07-06 01:07 PM »
.. There are tons of situations where a few deft passes with a sharp chisel is way more expedient than setting up a power tool for the same bit of work.

So true.  Often folks forget that just a tap of a hammer is faster than an expensive machine.